ETHICS: CHABA & Cannabis 101 for WA LMTs (4hrs)
(Check www.JenChanMassageEducation.com for class schedule and if you don’t see a class, contact me so we CAN coordinate a class! 201 class available too!)
* Classes can be taken by ANYONE, doesn’t necessarily have to be a LMT. All DOH professionals get CE credits. 4 hr class can be done with or without ethics*
Cannabis? Wait, is that legal for massage? What happens if a client asks me to use a crème they have that has cannabis in it during their massage? Will I get in trouble and will it affect me if I use it? What the heck is CHABA? Why am I suddenly seeing discussions about this on social media and how do I navigate all of this and not get myself in hot water?
If you haven’t noticed, we’re currently in what some refer to as a “green rush” here in Washington State. The cannabis movement is happening and happening fast and we need to keep up and be informed. The conversation is changing from the old school of thought to a more open view of cannabis and these products are nudging their way into our treatment rooms, but is that okay? And, more importantly, what are our risks?
CHABA stands for Cannabis Health and Beauty Aid and CHABA topicals are legal for us to use and can be beneficial, but do I want to use them and where do you get them? Want to open a cannabis spa and be on top of this green movement? Sorry, but that’s a big no, no in Washington. This class is designed to provide licensed massage therapists in Washington State with the tools and knowledge they need to stay out of trouble, and understand what can be used legally, as well as the benefits of these products. This fun and SUPER informative course will help you:
- Understand the history of cannabis law in Washington State
• Understand the current rules and regulations around the use of these products
• Maintain safe roles and boundaries with clients
• Understand the basics of CHABA/cannabis and its benefits
• Identify legal CHABA products available in Washington State
• Help you speak confidently about the topic to your clients/patients
Your instructor, Jennifer Chan, LMT, has been a massage therapist since 2007 and has been researching this topic since 2011. Jennifer is the first CHABA massage therapist out of the green closet here in Washington State and helped bring to create the current CHABA law here. As a member of N.O.R.M.L. Women of WA, an organization that concentrates on normalization, education and outreach regarding cannabis, Jennifer has been involved in a variety of educational efforts around cannabis and CHABA products here in our state. (MA60324770)